Subscribe via RSS Feed

One Phone Number Parents Should Know

A mom friend of mine has a son who wakes up early in the morning around 6am every day.  Her son is 5-years old.  It’s not uncommon for him to go downstairs and get some cereal and play until his parents get up a little later.

She told me this story of what happened early one morning.

She got up and went downstairs to check on her son.   He had been up for a while and was playing. Everything seemed ok.

But then she noticed that he had moved a chair to one of the kitchen cabinets– the cabinet where they keep medicine on one of the higher shelves.  Next to the chair was a bottle of opened Children’s Motrin.

He had apparently been not feeling well and so he had decided to give himself some medicine.

Needless to say, she freaked out and started panicking.  She told me that she has a magnet on her refrigerator with the National Poison Control Center hotline number 1-800-222-1222.  She called them immediately.

They asked her a series of questions.. What did he take? How big was the bottle? How much was left in the bottle? His weight?

They determined that the amount he took wasn’t enough to be harmful and that he would be just fine.

But the incident left her shaken.   She told me this story because she wanted to get the word out to parents to make sure medicine bottles are closed and locked tightly.  You can turn the lid of a medicine bottle a couple of times and it’s closed, but it’s not locked.  You have to turn it all the way until it clicks and locks.

This past week marked Poison Prevention Week.   50 years ago 400 children died each year from accidental poisoning, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

That number has been reduced dramatically.

But even still, 36 kids die each year because they ingest medicines, cleaning substances or personal care items. MOST DANGEROUS ITEMS

There are steps you can take to prevent a tragedy, beginning with keeping the number of the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222 in a handy place in your home.  If you have a babysitter or child care provider make sure they have the number as well.

Tags: , ,

Category: Health and Safety

Comments (3)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Those shampoos with yummy smelling flavors? A little girl in my home town got quite sick after nipping from the bottle.

  2. Krista says:

    Thanks for addressing this topic. It’s so important to have the poison control tel# handy. Just last month I had a similar situation happen and had to call poison control for my two year old dtr. Fortunately she was okay and no harm was done. Afterwards I was so relieved that I just cried.

    Hopefully all parents follow this advice and keep this resource available at all times.

    BTW, I found you via MBC.

  3. Angie says:

    Great blog throughout and thanks for dropping by! Safety is such an important issue that should always be addressed especially when it comes to children.

Leave a Reply




If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a Gravatar.