They’re baaaaack… High gas prices. Maybe you’ve noticed. I live in the Washington, DC area and I suddenly noticed the price of gas is getting close to $4 a gallon.
It’s not my imagination. Gas prices are about 22 cents higher than a year ago. The average gasoline price nationwide for regular is $3.29 a gallon. And it’s rising…. Wanna know why? Iran’s threat to close down the straits of Hormuz. (18% of the world’s oil goes through there) Wanna know what you can do about it? Find ways to save on gas.
I spoke to Patrick DeHaan of GasBuddy.com who offered these tips for saving on gas (and added a couple of my own)
1. Don’t go crazy accelerating from one red light to the next red light– that eats up gas. And really who are you racing, anyway?
2. Don’t carry a bunch of stuff you don’t need in the car. If you don’t need the double stroller – take it out
3. Maintain the proper amount of air in your tires. Tip: Check your door jamb or glove box for the auto manufacturer’s recommended tire pressure
4. Shop around for gas. It can make a big difference if you’re getting gas in the city vs. suburb
5. Look for discounts. For example, if you have a Giant Store near you- sign up for the grocery store card. They have a deal with Shell Gas and you can get Giant Gas rewards. I regularly get 50 cents a gallon off my gas bill using my card.
Find more tips here: http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_tips.aspx
Category: Money Matters